Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
"I pray that you being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."
-Ephesians 3:17-21

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Olympics

As the Closing Ceremonies are replayed on tv I got to thinking about the Olympics. Having lost many hours of sleep over the past couple of weeks watching the games I wonder what it is that draws us in to these games. Is it the patriotism? the ceremony and fanfare? the competition? For me I think it is all of these. I love cheering "U-S-A" and pulling for my favorite athletes. I also love watching the opening and closing ceremonies and the medal ceremonies and hearing the national anthems of the gold medalist. And I especially love watching the competition, especially with Michael Phelps going for 8 golds in a row. BUT I think my favorite part of the Olympics is seeing the world come together. I love seeing people from different countries sitting next to each other holding their respective flags, I love seeing the athletes put their arms around each other and congratulate each other, even if they are competitors. I think that this is a beautiful picture of what Heaven will be like! The whole world coming together for a common purpose. (Obviously, we will not be in competition with each other in Heaven!). I just love seeing people from every tongue, tribe, and nation together. It makes my heart smile and it makes me even more excited to see what Heaven will be like! I know that the Olympics are not perfect(can you say China?), and that people are not coming together for the common purpose of Jesus, but rarely do we get such a sweet picture of all of God's people together in one place. It is just nice to have these little reminders every now and then that this world is not our final destination!

No comments:

Blog Archive